Monday, August 01, 2005

Beyond the Sea



This is a picture of Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee. Both movie stars, one a grammy winning singer. They were married and in their hay day were the hot couple of Tinsel Town. : )
I just watched "Beyond the Sea", a movie starring Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin. A movie based the real life of the famous 60's and early 70's singer and movie star. Most of you would recognize him as the singer of "Splish Splash". That was his initial hit that raised him to stardom. Just like today's music there are songs and artists that appeal to the teenieboppers and that song, his break out hit, did just that. But most of his songs were more like the Rat Pack style, along the lines of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.
And its a funny thing that I watched this movie tonight. Last night I decided to download some songs from the 60's and that included some Bobby Darin songs. I listened to Splish Splash and then I listened to his other songs, Beyond the Sea, Dream Lover, & Sea of Love and I instantaneously fell in love with them. And I wondered why I had never heard this side of him before. I am glad this movie introduced me to Bobby Darin.
I think most importantly this movie touched my heart. I am finding out that these drama films based on the lives of real people seem to have a more profound effect on me than regular movies. Its because I get a glimpse of someone elses life and their ups and downs...their heartaches and their loves. And just as the characters life flows forward and up and down, I see a microcosism of their life right before me and it speaks to me of life...of their life, of my life and the nature of life all around me.
It makes me want to make my life into a movie. Not because I am an egomaniac. But because it seems so nice and tidy yet powerful and touching at the same time. To have a soundtrack to my life...linked to my swaying feelings seems appropriate.
To somehow plug into that streaming life of mine and put it in a box where there is a beginning and an ending where it displays all the passions and struggles...where there are moments of happiness and joy and moments of struggle and ultimately there is a climax and it ends.
We all are in a drama like an act to a play and we live our part and it is played out on the cosmic stage.
Some of us think a legacy of some great achievement will be needed to make our act stand out in the countless others before us and the countless ones after us but in fact the best legacy we can leave can best be measured by how much we loved.

At the end credits there are little biopsies of some of the people in the movie, and the line following Sandra Dee (His wife) said the following:
"Sandra Dee lives in Los Angeles, she has never remarried. She remains in love with Bobby Darin to this day."
That line pierced my soul. 22 years have passed since Bobby Darin died and a part of him lives on in the people he loved and the people who loved him. (Read my previous post titled "Graveyard", it echoes this sentiment)
Sandra Dee actually died in February of this year, very shortly after the movie was made.
I may have never met them in my life but I know Bobby and Sandra.
Just as the last lines of the song in the movie said...." as long as your singing then the world's alright and everything’s swinging, as long as your singing your song." - Bobby Darin is still with us in his words, in his songs, in his movies.
But its not just a legacy, its so much more than that. On a much more lasting and intimate level he is with us through those who loved him and he is with us because we relate and know what it means to love and for that reason a part of him will always remain.
And so it is with all of those that have gone before us.... and so it will be with us.
The song we have written and weaved with the beats and rhythms of our life. The hearts that have touched ours and the hearts we have touched...and world is spun by the beat of our hearts and even when time has passed beyond the fingertips of our presence and spun beyond the charted seas of our lives our song is still sung, echoed in the hearts of humanity throughout eternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home