Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Great Wall

Yesterday was miserable...cold and constant raining...today was the opposite. Absolutely gorgeous outside with a cool breeze, a warm sun and puffy white clouds.
It was a perfect day to head up to the Great Wall. The rain swept away a lot of the pollution too so it made for a very clear day up in the mountains.
The normally 1 1/2 hr bus ride took neary 5 hours because of traffic and an accident. But it gave us a chance to get to know the rest of the international travelers on the bus...3 guys from Switzerland, an older English couple, a young Belgium couple, a Morroccon girl, an Austrialian girl and a girl from Maine thrown in there for good meausre. The wall was beyond words stunningly amazing spectacular wish you could have been there experience. Imagine jagged peak lines of an infinity of bright green mountains in all directions and imagine putting towers and a wall along the precipice and thats only a very weak description for an amazing sight to behold. I did post some pictures earlier but I cant wait to post my pics once I get back. Seeing the wall alone has made this trip worth it.
We also had personal tourist knick knack peddlars follow us around the whole time.
Dan and I had a good time teasing them and sharing jokes. Humor is the best way to cross the langauge barrier.
Tomorrow we see the Forbidden city which is not so forbidden anymore.
And then hopefully we'll be able to get a train ticket to Suzhou near Shanghai.
We've been told they have been selling out several days in advance.
We'll see what happens.
I will update again soon.
Have a splendid evening or morning or afternoon....actually its about 125 pm over there and 125 am here....if I closed my eyes right now I would fall asleep.
So on that note.
Good night.

6 Comments:

At 8/17/05, 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll have to write a book about all your experiences. Glad the trip is living up to your expectations!

 
At 8/18/05, 12:05 PM, Blogger PAINKEY said...

Hello,
Its me again, I got your comment on my blog and I just wanted to Thank you for the advice and comment. I was happy someone finally did....Thanks!
Anyhow, I came across your blog by surfin the blogs while I was on one day. The "Love" post was great. I had to let you know. Anyhow, I am workin on my blog and making it more personal.
Well, I hope you are having a wonderful time on your trip. Be safe.

 
At 8/18/05, 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my I hope you are making full use of the video camera (have you interviewed anyone yet?!) because I won't be able to hear about the trip. Where are yall now? Are you buying lots of stuff? Hope you and Dan are having a blast you crazy kids

 
At 8/18/05, 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm Ron Burgundy?
(murmur)

 
At 8/19/05, 7:45 AM, Blogger Larry said...

Awesome, dude!

I bet the Wall was amazing. You should have been listening to "The Wall" by Pink Floyd while you gazed at it.

I want to see some interviews when you get back, so make sure you doing some and making fun of those silly Chinese folk!

 
At 8/19/05, 9:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I believe Tony the Tiger would be deeply disappointed at your description of the Grrrrrrrreat Wall. Don't forget to call if you get arrested!!

Happy & Safe travels...Peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home