Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Photo's of the Day




Daniel and I near Xingping Town on the River Li in the Guangxi Province.
We paid this lady like 10 cents to hold up these ducks and get our pics taken.
They actually use these ducks to fish, by putting something in its throat, and putting a line around its feet they allow them to go under water and fish but the duck cant swallow the fish and the fisherman grabs the fish out, but he has to let the duck eat every once in a while or else it wises up and stops fishing!

2 Comments:

At 9/28/05, 11:59 PM, Blogger Alcarwen said...

That's awesome! Although I feel bad for the duckies;-)

It reminds me of the fishermen in South America. I forget exactly where, but there is a group of native South Americans who have been fishing with dolphins for centuries. The first recorded instance was sometime in the 1700's, I think, when some European explorer wrote it down. Anyways, the dolphins herd the fish in to the fisherman who catch them, then they in turn share the fish with the dolphins. The crazy thing is, though, that the dolphins aren't trained to do it. It's a hereditary thing that's passed down among family groups to do it... and likewise with the fishermen.

Pretty nifty. I'd love to see it. (I have a mild obsession with dolphins:) )

 
At 10/5/05, 11:10 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I love dolphins too...did you know that dolphins treat pregnant ladies with more tenderness and care because their sonar abilities enable them to see that she is carrying a baby!? Crazy cool huh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home