Friday, September 09, 2005

Settling Accounts and Discovering Johnny Cash

According to Christianity Today one of Johnny Cash's favorite Bible verses was Romans 8:13
"For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."

Simple and to the point. And apparently appropriate for the "man in black". He really associated with Paul. A man with a very sinful past much like his own. There is something deeply authentic about Johnny Cash. You dont look at him and see a mask. He is not hiding behind self-righteousness but fully aware of God's love and grace in his life.
Wouldn't it be nice if we all had a little more self-depreciation and less pride, and more of really believing that God is the
"I am" and that we are the "I am not". Instead of accepting others and loving them as they are we demand that they meet our expectations and our wants.
So what happened to the Gospel? To love God and our neighbor as ourself? What happened to being like Christ, who lowered himself humbly to meet us where we are? Instead we demand our selfish desires to be met. We are all guilty of it. But we need to practice more of what we preach and extend that grace to eachother. That is why ultimately we cling to Christ.

We call God our Father and yet we fight amongst our brothers.
We are to be the light upon the hill and yet there is no light behind closed doors.
We are to be the salt of the earth but how, when we can't salt our church?
We hold accounts when our account was settled long ago
We keep tabs and call for justice when its not for you or I
We think and ponder and say Amen
When we consider how we must be right
Alas our selfish deeds keep us from the light
So thank the good Lord for the grace to see us through,
For clinging to what He's given is all we have to do.

The following are poignant lyrics from Johnny Cash's song, "Old Account was Settled Long Ago."
(Too bad the sons and daughters of Christ fail in extending that grace to eachother.

Long ago (down on my knees)
Long ago (I setted it all)
Yes, the old account was settled long ago; (Hallelujah!)
And the record's clear today,
For He washed my sins away,
When the old account was settled long ago.
There was a time on earth,
When in the book of Heav'n
An old account was standing
For sins yet unforgiv'n;
My name was at the top,
And many things below,
I went unto the keeper,
And settled long ago.

Long ago (down on my knees)
Long ago (I setted it all)
Yes, the old account was settled long ago; (Hallelujah!)
And the record's clear today,
For He washed my sins away,
When the old account was settled long ago.
The old account was large,
And growing ev'ry day,
For I was always sinning,
And never tried to pay;
But When I looked ahead,
And saw such pain and woe,
I said that I would settle,
I settled long ago.

Long ago (down on my knees)
Long ago (I setted it all)
Yes, the old account was settled long ago; (Hallelujah!)
And the record's clear today,
For He washed my sins away,
When the old account was settled long ago.
When in that happy home,
My Saviour's home above,
I'll sing redemption's story,
And praise Him for His love;
I'll not forget that book,
With pages white as snow,
Because I came and settled,
And settled long ago.

Long ago (down on my knees)
Long ago (I setted it all)
Yes, the old account was settled long ago; (Hallelujah!)
And the record's clear today,
For He washed my sins away,
When the old account was settled long ago.

Thanks Johnny...I look forward to seeing you on the other side.

4 Comments:

At 9/10/05, 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coldplay played a Jonny Cash song last night at the concert...

 
At 9/10/05, 11:24 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

oh...your just bragging now! which song? how was the concert? i am jealous.....well your gamecocks couldnt pull off the upset today... i was hoping GA would go down...oh well...i guess TN is gonna have to do it!

 
At 9/10/05, 11:31 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Dori....I wrote this article before youth group on Friday night. I do believe things were done with grace and love.

 
At 9/12/05, 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well basically Coldplay was amazing the weather was perfect they were awesome...you should be jealous! I don't know the Jonny Cash song off the top of my head sorry. And I KNOW I watched the game too how sad but at least we played well. That is the 5th year we've lost to them

 

Post a Comment

<< Home