Wednesday, September 28, 2005

To Sleep or not to Sleep?



To sleep or not to sleep that is the question.
To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die: to sleep.

Here's the first few lines of Hamlet's famous soliloquy, note the first line is mine.
I have a problem with sleep. At night when the bed and pillow beckon unto me I do but hesitate its languorous call.
I have always had a hard time deciding to go to bed, granted once I am there I have no problem falling asleep.
And I think thats due to my status of staying up so late and having to succumb to my drowsiness.
For me, going to bed means I will be missing out on life. On seeing, doing or feeling something that life has to offer. And so I choose to stay up as late as possible to experience life when most of the time I'm not really doing much but getting tired.
Funny thing happens in the morning.
I don't care about experiencing life. As I stuporly awake for the first time in the morning I feel robbed of my opportunity to avoid life. In the morning, I want to continue sleeping to avoid having to live in this world. That may sound drastic but its true. Thats when I pray the most that I be called to my eternal home. To be taken away from this faraway country and finally find eternal peace and rest in my forever home. And I reckon thats where Hamlet comes in. He knew what it meant for me when I wake in the morning...to fight the slings and arrows of this broken world but rather than opposing them I would rather sleep!! And if I must wake I pray for my safe passage to my real home.

Anyone else have similar or dissimilar ways of thinking, feeling or dealing with sleep? Just curious about others experiences.

11 Comments:

At 9/28/05, 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. I never want to go to bed because there are always so many other things I think I will miss but then I never want to wake up because I just don't feel like dealing with anything. A sort of morning hoplessness I guess...

 
At 9/28/05, 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I won't comment about you geting up at camp...if only there hadn't been that rock that moved wherever Greg did.

someone once told me that Christians use sleep as a way to ignore their problems and not deal with what is going on around them, instead of using drugs or something like that. I haven't decided if I agree with that statement or not.
I do love that movie and Hamlet is my favorite shakespeare play I memorized that solioquy in highschool.

I guess I'll sleep anywhere if I'm tired enough even if there are things going on around me. I've been known as "that girl that always sleeps on the couch" at Sydney and bethany's house

 
At 9/28/05, 4:29 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

oh...so your the person on the couch! thats funny
I have used sleep that way before....but you know what if life around you is that bad then most of the time trying to sleep it off doesnt work because its hard sleep when your anxious.
Yep, Hamlet is my favorite play and I like Gibson's movie version the best.
I've heard that if all the worlds literature burned up except for Hamlet that that play would suffice.
I agree.

 
At 9/28/05, 5:35 PM, Blogger Larry said...

You know, man, I have the same problem. I hate going to bed at night, but I've figured out that it's because my brain "turns on" the best at night. That's when I start getting my best ideas and when I enjoy doing my programming and web design. I hate getting up in the morning because I go to bed late but also because I just don't like the morning. :)

 
At 9/28/05, 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleep? What is this word that you speak of?
I find that sleep is a difficult task for 2 reasons. The first is that, like Larry, I do my best work in the evening/early morning hours so I want to stay awake and be most productive. The second is that I have so much to do that I feel a bit guilty for "wasting" the time on a silly thing like sleep.
On the flipside, however, I find myself giving horrible looks and saying awful things to my alarm clocks every morning. I feel as though a rare treasure has been ripped from my hands by these gastly electronics and I can do nothing to retrieve it. I want nothing to do with what the day offers and everything to do with staying tucked away in dreamland where all questions are answered and there are NO alarm clocks.

 
At 9/28/05, 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Princess BC
What a lovely post. You have been incredibly kind in disclosing with fact that you have a treasure with you in the morning. I shall be coming in the morning to take it away from you and as a service to you I shall take your alarm clocks as well.
- Dread Pirate Robert's

aka Big Moves

 
At 9/29/05, 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dread pirate roberts...sadly the treasure of my sleep was stolen this morning but the ghastly alarm clocks remain.

~Princess Buttercup


aka Ms. Anonymous

 
At 10/4/05, 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, Hamlet is awesome! There is so many amazing lines in there, I won't even start on this right now. And the Kenneth Branagh version, of which you have a photo of, is the best (even though Mel Gibson did his very best).

Second, yes, I know what you mean. I can never go to sleep until everyone else in my place is also asleep. You just never know what crazyness or conversations you will miss out on. I believe this is why I was never a napper;-) Napping is worse than sleeping... because then you are missing the height of the day! But then you wake up in the mornings and rather than thinking, "Let us experience the day!!" you think, "If I stay in bed, what can I avoid today?" LOL, we have such contradicting minds...

 
At 10/6/05, 2:44 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Templeton
Thanks for your comment...
I actually liked Gibson's version better...I simply like him as an actor. And I think that pic is of him! : ) Take a closer look, maybe Im wrong but I think thats Mel there staring at the skull.
Hope you've had a good week!

 
At 10/7/05, 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, so, I guess I need to swallow my pride at this moment and say, "You are right and Templeton is wrong". Yes, that is Mel Gibson... but it IS a very blurry picture:-) BTW, thanks for clarifying which one was the skull and which Mel Gibson... I would have been a lost Templeton otherwise;-) LOL. I'm not saying he did a bad job.... my preference is just for true British talent, such as Kenneth Branagh (just kidding). Have you seen him in "Much Ado About Nothing"? Now THAT is a good movie... the best verbal banter I've ever witnessed!

 
At 10/7/05, 9:11 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I love much ado about nothing... it was a wonderful cast and whats the frequency kenneth did an excellent job. I love Shakespeare. That guy was a pure genious unparralled by anyone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home