Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Da Vinci Code Discussed.

Tomorrow the Da Vinci Code is coming to theaters. Despite sub-par reviews from the Cannes festival and the USA today (2 out 4 stars) millions will flock world-wide to see this movie. Millions in America have kept this book at the top of the best seller list for over 3 years. TV Networks are publicizing the movie whereas some Christians are up in arms. What's all the buzz, excitement and fuss about?

I do believe as a Christian we have an obligation to be in tune with the trends of our culture to better engage and interact with culture to fulfill the great commission to spread the Gospel. (Acts 17:16-34) A simple out of sight, out of mind attitude is not what God calls us to.

If you haven't read the book and you want to be an an informed Christian on a topic that permeates our society today then please read the below article I have linked from By Faith Magazine. I have read several Christian articles discussing the Da Vinci Code and I believe this is the best one. Warning: It does discuss the book/movie and the claims and conclusions it makes.

Da Vinci Code Article.

6 Comments:

At 5/19/06, 2:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Some very interesting points here...thanks for linking to that article. It was very compelling and insightful.

So when are you going to see the flick?

 
At 5/19/06, 3:41 PM, Blogger Larry said...

I will definitely read the article ASAP.

I plan to read the book this summer so that I can at least be knowledgable on its claims from a firsthand perspective.

The one interesting thing about it is that I have heard from many, many, many sources (both Christian and non-Christian) that the book isn't even an intelligent read. I've heard that the book wasn't even written well, but because it deals with such a hot topic people praise it like it is.

 
At 5/22/06, 2:05 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I've not read it, and I'm not planning too (although I have a grasp of what it's about). BUT I've heard it is a really good read. My boyfriend hates to read, and he read it rather quickly. Larry, I'll look forward to your take on it.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of hearing about it. It has reminded me of how dangerous even fiction books can be as we are all so apt to believe what we read/hear. Like my preacher reminded us yesterday--there is an upside in that perhaps nonbelievers will start asking questions and picking up the Bible. I love it when bad is used for good.

 
At 5/23/06, 8:29 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

I agree Ally...I am tired of hearing about it too. I really havent paid a whole lot of attention to it. But last year I went to Barnes and Noble and read through it quickly so I could be informed.

But remember the author claims that everything in the book is fact. And that is one of the issues with it.
But the heresies behind aren't anything new, there have been people throughout history that tried to take away Jesus' divinity.
Your pastor it right, we can use it as a spring board to spread the Gospel.

 
At 5/24/06, 9:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I’ve heard some conflicting information on the claims of the author. Some have said that the author makes no claims on fact, and that the book is only fiction. Others say that he does not claim it to be fact or fiction, but may have stumbled on fact unknowingly. And still others say, like you, that the author claims everything in the book is fact aside from the obvious fictional characters (like an episode of Law & Order).

So what’s the deal? What do you base your assertions on that he claims it to be fact?

 
At 6/21/06, 9:14 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

He says it is fact in his book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home