Monday, June 26, 2006

Zombie, Shirt, Tie, Road, Turtle

This morning I was driving on Loch Raven Drive; a road that cut the misty woods in two and slithered next to a lake that bounced off the early morning light beams tenderly onto the retina of my eyes. My windows were down and the morning country air swept over my face like a spoiler on the back of car. I always enjoy this drive into work. As a rule, regardless to the conditions of the weather; rain, sun, hot, cold, I keep the windows down and the radio off. The changing scenery: tree's towering over head, the thick deep forest, the green lawns, and rolling farmland beckon me away into a different world. A world away from the suburbs, from the starbucks, the Mcdonalds, the Wal-Marts, the congestion and the parking lots.
This is the drive I take each morning to work.
This morning as I hugged a curve, with the deep thick woods on my left and the glimmering lake on my right, I came across a man in a shirt and tie walking in the middle of the road. His car was on the side of the road with the hazards on. At first glance this man was walking strange. He was walking with an arched back, as if he was falling backwards, his hands and arms were straight out in front of him.
Initially I thought I had seen my first zombie.
A split second thought crossed my mind.
I needed to smash this walking undead through the grill of my SUV.
I would be a hero for saving humanity.
As it turns out, this awkward walking man in a shirt and tie was simply being careful not to get a very large, squirming and dirty turtle on his work clothes.

Rather than me saving humanity this man had helped save a party of turtleanity.
The zombie pose, the business man in a shirt and tie, and the large turtle.
Quite the amusing combo.

8 Comments:

At 6/27/06, 10:04 AM, Blogger Larry said...

Just remember...if you do encounter a zombie and you're not in your car, throwing records does not work. However a cricket bat does.

 
At 6/27/06, 10:17 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Well, throwing old records does work if you hit them square in the forehead. But you would have more accuracy with a cricket bat.

 
At 6/27/06, 9:52 PM, Blogger Ally said...

What a lovely commute; do you work on Walden Pond?

 
At 6/29/06, 1:13 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

It feels that way Ally. It really is a gorgeous drive into work, except that I need to be careful not to hit geese, fox, deer or zombies.

 
At 7/2/06, 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I especially love the word you invented: "turtleanity." It's quite nice.

-Laura

 
At 7/3/06, 9:11 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks Laura Master. I figured if turtles had their own sophisticated culture like us then they would refer to themselves as turtleanity.

 
At 7/24/06, 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't your wedding in a few weeks?

 
At 7/25/06, 11:06 AM, Blogger Jordan said...

My wedding is September 9th!!
6 1/2 weeks!
Very exciting, I am sure you will hear all about it. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home