Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Nesting.



Why do I have a picture of a nest?
Because at a Christmas party on Friday night, one of two for the weekend, and we were invited to another we couldn't attend, an older gentleman was inquiring about my newlywed status. How are things going? I responded by saying that we are accumulating things. He replied, "Ah, your nesting." Yes. We are nesting.
Jess and I just spent a good amount of money accumulating Christmas decorations for the house. A wreath here, a nutcracker there, a stocking holder, a snowman that lights up, a Victorian village, (my favorite), candles for the windows, bows, wrapping paper, ornaments, a tree skirt, and we haven't even started buying Christmas gifts.
I have been excited to buy these things. It makes me happy to feel like we are making a home. At the same time I see the bill piling up. And I reason that these Christmas purchases are an investment, we will use them over the years.
And so my thoughts return to nesting. To building a home. A place that Jess and I can call our own. That somehow the things we surround ourselves with say something about us and give us comfort.
We've definately been enjoying our first Christmas holiday together. Knowing that in years to come we will remember how we started to nest at Christmas when we got these shiny new things that will one day be worn but will be sacred in our chest of memories.
We also added a new family member this weekend. Dougy. Dougy is a Douglas Fur Christmas Tree. He stands at about 7 feet tall and when you walk in from the cold and step inside our living room its as if you walked into an evergreen forest.


We both like Dougy very much. We also got two nutcrackers. Jess didnt really like them but you cant have Christmas decorations without a couple nutcrackers. I named them Victor and Hugo. It was off the top of my head but it fits. Victor Hugo lived in the early 19th century, the same era as the nutcrackers costumes. This is the era of Napolean Bonaparte, the Count of Monte Cristo, the Three Musketeers.

Since that Friday night Christmas party, I have been asked about life, about marriage several times and have responded by saying, we're nesting. The inquisitor then slightly smiles and nods the head in response.
Well, enough with the nesting. Bring on the gifts!!

1 Comments:

At 12/13/06, 11:18 AM, Blogger kathrynthomas said...

props for the fantastic names.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home