Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Letters from a Nut

What lies below is a real letter written to a real company. The letter is outlandish, funny, sarcastic and meant to provoke a response. The author of this letter is using a psuedo name to protect his identity.
(I'm almost positive the author of this book of letters is none other than Jerry Seinfeld, who I've seen in person.)
The author has put together a pretty funny book of his crazy letters and called it "Letters from a Nut" by Ted L Nancy.

What follows is one such letter and response:

Dear Nordstrom Deptarment Stores,

I am a regular shopper at your Nordstorms stores in Glendale. In the last few weeks I have noticed that a new mannequin you have out in the store looks just like my deceased neighbor. I have passed mannequin from many directions and the resemblance is uncanny. In every way - nose, cheekbones, hair, etc. Look at it from any angle. It looks like the neighbor I was friendly with. Even the clothes that the mannequin was wearing was the kind of lightweight windbreaker jacket my neighbor would wear. It is UNBELIEVABLE that this mannequin looks so much like my neighbor.

Is it possible to buy this mannequin (after its use) so I may present it to my neighbor's family? They would think this would be a VERY sentimental gesture. I think his co-workers would also like to have him remembered, so having him "there" would be good, theraputic behavior for all.

I was told to write to your stores HEADQUARTERS OFFICE afterI inquired about buying this mannequin to the sales lady (Very, courteous, I might add.) She suggested that only the stores main office could assist me in this purchase. But she was very helpful with my socks purchase.

Thank you, Nordstrom, for being a store that cares about its customers. I am a long time shopper. I keep lots of things in your Nordstrom bags. Fishing gear, etc. I have a garage full of Nordstrom bags full of old shoes, wire hangers, etc. Thats how I know I've been to your store so much. Let me know about the mannequin. This family is in some need of good loving. This will help!

Sincerely,
Ted L. Nancy


Nordstrom's response Letter:

Dear Mr. Nancy:

Yours is one of the most interesting requests I have ever received. Candidly, I can't imagine any family who has lost a loved one wanting to see a mannequin that resembles that person.

Of course, we want to respond to our customers as positively as possible, but we definately do not sell display materials while they are being used by the company. I see no reason why (when it comes time for a change of mannequins) that we wouldnt sell it to you at the same price we would get from our normal resources.

If you should be interested in that, simply talk to our store manager there at Glendale, Diane Kantor, and she will let you know when the time comes. Unfortunately, mannequins are used for a number of years before they are phased out.

Sincerely
Bruce Nordstrom

4 Comments:

At 3/22/07, 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is priceless! How's life Mr. Jordan?

 
At 3/23/07, 10:25 AM, Blogger kathrynthomas said...

excellent post, and glad to see you're alive!!

 
At 3/29/07, 12:43 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

Yes, I am alive. Alive and very busy, and right now very sick. : (


Princess B - I have been busy! Looking for a new place to call home here in Baltimore. Its expensive!! Price and location are not matching up for us but were still looking. Being a youth director at a smaller church meant really busy in the summer, but at a larger church, it means really busy always! : ) But I love it, two weeks ago we had our fifth annual Church Film Fest, where the youth group makes short films based on scripture. It was a spectacular time. But I spent long hours editing films!
I plan on posting some of those films here soon.
So how have you been?

 
At 4/17/07, 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have lots of things going on right now to entertain you. At least you're not bored, right? My life is busy also. We are in the process of writing several grants, I am wrapping up my programs, planning a wedding for a friend, and waiting for my nephew to decide when he is going to grace this world with his oh so huge presence. Plus trying to work my jobs to the best of my ability. Like I said though, at least I'm not bored. What was the most impressive film in your Film Fest?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home